CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Dare To Be Amazing"

“Dare To Be Amazing”...that is what was we wore on our T’shirts last weekend as a group of us hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to see some of the most beautiful waterfall ever created.  The best part of the whole 5 days was that I had 3 of my daughters with me!  That was the most “Amazing” part of the whole trip.  Well, speaking of amazing, Drew and Alexis spent the same 5 days tending 2 of our cute little grandkids so the rest of us could go.  (More on that later!)
I love each season with my children.  When they were babies I would love to cuddle, and care for them, when they were toddlers I was fascinated watching them become independent and learn so quickly.  The teenage years were fun (for the most part) to watch them discover who they were capable of being, and then fearlessly face what life would challenge with.  But the season of having adult children and spending time with them, not so much as Mom/daughter but as friends who really love each other and have a blast just being together.  
This adventured started out with us meeting in Peach Springs, Az to spend the first night at a motel where a train came by every 20 minute all day and night blasting its horn.  The very nice lady that check us in did offer us a set of ear plug free of charge! How nice! Drew and Alexis came along because they were going to be taking Kylie and Jase back to Gilbert to tend them when we started our hike the next day.  Well, not much sleep that night between Jase not liking be in a new environment, Drew’s snoring (he gets offended when I tell him he snores so please don’t say anything to him) and the train I was pretty tried the next morning but excited all the same.  


On Saturday, during our 90 minute drive, through he middle of nowhere to the trail head I realized I had not gassed up.  I knew I could make it to the top but not so sure about getting back to civilization on Tuesday. The day was very cold, as we drove into the parking lot.  Lots of cars already there and people getting their packs on to start on their way.  We unloaded our bags for the poor little donkey’s to take down for us and we gathered for our first of many group pictures.  (My new camera got dropped and broken in the first 5 minutes...bummer!--good thing I had my video camera.) 

We strapped on our backpacks, which contained water, our lunch, sunscreen, camera, and ipods and started on our way.  The first step was a doozie!!  Well actually the first 2000 feet was switchbacks then we started on a gradual down hill descent in some of most beautiful red rock and blue sky you have ever seen.  We walked, and talked, and snacked, and took pictures, had lunch, walked, and listened to music, and snacked, and walked, and walked for about 5 hours until we came to the village of Supai.  The village is home to about 400 supai natives, and at least a couple hundred horses,and  lots of dogs.  There were two churches, (one LDS), a store, helicopter pad, cafe, medical clinic, school for K-8th and a lodge (really a beat up motel 6 that had 2 beds and a shower-no TV, etc.) It was like taking a step back in time. The locals are not real friendly but not rude either.  I think they tolerated the tourists and that was about it. By the time we made it to the lodge and got checked in our bag had already arrived via mule back so we unpacked and then headed to the cafe for dinner.  As we packed most all our own food (poor donkeys) we only ate there once.  (Once was enough!) 
After a little devotional among the 15 women participating in our little adventure we all slept good that night. 
Sunday found us preparing to attend the little LDS branch scheduled to start at 11 am.  We had our breakfast of instant oatmeal mixed with warm tap water off we went through the powdery dust of the village for the 20 minute walk to the little chapel.  We arrived to find a cute young Native American couple with their adorable daughter waiting for us.  They had flown in on the helicopter that morning to conduct the sacrament meeting.  They were from Bullhead City Arizona and they had requested a turn at coming down to the village.  It seems that their stake is in charge of supplying someone each Sunday to make sure services are held.  They were told to prepare for between 5 and 95 people.  We were the only ones there until about 45 minutes into the meeting.  We supplied the music, & prayers and even a bagel for the sacrament.  The priesthood holder was a pretty new convert to the church and they had just gone through the temple.  The wife was a returned missionary.  They each gave great talks.  Right before the sacrament was prepared a native women came in and sat in the back.  Durning the second talk a native gentleman came in dressed in jeans and a denim shirt came in and walked to the front and sat down where someone in charge would have sat.  After the meeting we visited with both of them, he was the 3rd counselor or the branch and she was his wife.  A little laid back to say the least,  they were very kind and friendly and make us feel welcome. They told us that there was about 60 members in the village but most weeks have very low attendance.  When I had been there 3 years ago there was a missionary couple that actually lived in the church and things seemed to be going really well, I guess times have changed.  After church we were anxious to have our picture taken with the cute young couple and interesting enough they seemed pretty anxious to have their picture taken with us also.  It was a memorable experience. 
Sunday afternoon and all day Monday we spent hiking to the falls.  They were so beautiful.  It was so fun for me to share each new discovery with my girls.  It truly felt like natures playground.  One of the most amazing falls to get to was called Mooney Falls.  It required climbing through a short tunnel and then scaling down the face of a cliff using chains and old ladders.  It was worth the effort as the Falls were breath taking.  


We had a fun picnic and then explored more falls.  It was a day to remember.  
With Tuesday came the dreaded task of hiking out.  We had been trying not to let that thought spoil the fun days.  We got up early packed up, left our bags, (much lighter as we ate most of the food!) for the donkeys to take out and we started on our way at about  6:45 am.  To see the sun rise over those magnificent red rocks made you feel so small, the world seem so big and amazing.  We walked at a pretty good pace for about 2 ½ hours at a mostly gradual uphill climb and then we knew we were getting to the dreaded switchbacks.  We stopped for a few minutes got something to eat and drink and then started off. I was so impressed and proud of my girls.  


They were first group out of the canyon that morning at 10:15 am and stood at the top and cheered every one else as they came to top.  I loved seeing them standing shoulder to shoulder being excited for each other and the others.  And Oh by the way I made it out at the same time!!!  Not so bad for a 50 year old!   The donkeys came shortly after us with our bags and we said our goodbyes to our Utah friends and we all headed back home.  


Just to add an exclamation point to the adventure we ran out of gas on way home! (I said we... it was really me...first time that has happened since college)  We flagged down a car and  Andrea and Ashley got in with a nice young women who offered to drive them to the next town, and I realized after they left that they had no money with them...oops, we had no cell service  and  after about an hour a policeman finally stopped and went and got us gas and let us use his cell phone.   It all ended well and we were finally on our way. 
We arrived in Gilbert early evening to find all was well with Drew and the grandkids (well the kids were well except for Kylie being dressed in Jase’s pants--Drew thought they were capris) How grateful we all were for Drew and Lexie , Erin, Adam, and GrannyAnnie who cared for the kids so we could have such a great trip. 



The back of our T’shirt had the saying “A journey is best measured in friends not miles”-- 

Thanks girls for being some of my best friends as well as my daughters!!
It was a trip I will remember forever!

3 comments:

Joanne

What a fun timeout!

The Felix Family

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for taking me with you! It really was an amazing weekend. I had a blast being with you, Ashley and Amanda! This is one of those trip I will rememeber forever!

Jamie

I heard through the grapevine there was a new blog in the family. I'm so excited to find and to keep up with you. I was just telling mom what a blessing blogs have been for me - I feel closer to the extended family than I ever thought possible.

I've loved reading about your hiking adventure - what an incredible experience.